Friday, January 18, 2013

Father's Day


This game is one of my very favorites--so much fun for Father's Day. I used to try to do it for Junior and Senior, but Junior didn't understand the clues enough to know when their dad was being described, nor did they usually know the songs the dads picked. So I save this for Senior!

This takes quite a bit of research, so be prepared. Also be sensitive to the fact that some children may not have a father in their home for whatever reason. I've used uncles or grandpa's as substitutes--I try to ask the mother who they think would be appropriate.

Supplies needed:
  • Father's Day Survey! You can either try to get one from every father, or just pick a few. I really try to do every single father to make sure every kid gets to be excited. The questions I use are listed below.
  • Tie patterns (one for each father). The ones I use are posted below.
  • lots of pins
Father's Day Survey Questions:
            1. Where did you grow up?
            2. What was/is your nickname?
            3. What did you want to be when you were little?
            4. What is your job now?
            5. If you served a mission, where did you serve?
            6. What is your favorite Primary song?

Tie Patterns:

    (I made this myself because I couldn't find a good tie picture to use.)

    Set up:
    1. Usually about a month before Father's Day, I send out an email with the survey questions listed above to all the Senior Primary dads. (Actually, I've usually found that I get a better response when I email their wives, but it's up to you). Believe it or not, you'll have a few men that will take the entire month to get back to you.
    2. Compile the results from the surveys onto a list, with each dad numbered.
    3. Print out, cut out, and decorate one tie for each dad. Number them so that each tie corresponds to one of the dads on the list (Tie #1 will be the first dad on your list, Tie #2 will be the second dad, etc.)
    4. Before Primary starts, pin all the ties up on the board. (When the kids arrive, I keep tabs on who's absent and remove their fathers' ties. No fun in guessing dads of kids who aren't there!)
    Game play:
    1. Explain that you emailed each of their dads and asked them some questions. Now you're going to read the clues and see if they can guess which one is their dad.
    2. You pick the first tie off the board and read the clues. Once the child(ren) knows it's their dad, have them raise their hands. Have them come up front and help you lead while you sing their dad's favorite song.
    3. Have them pick another tie before they sit down, read the clues and repeat.
    ***Depending on the size of your Primary, this can take up more than one (or two) Sundays. You can either call it good after one week, or continue until all of the dads have been revealed.

    ***This is a great way to introduce the children to songs they may not sing very often. Just be prepared with posters if you think they'll need them.

    ***Save the surveys from year to year. That way you don't have to pester the dads every year!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment