Monday, February 10, 2014

Synonyms


Another Senior only game--they need to have a good grasp on language in order to make this one work! I usually pair this one with Missing Halves for Junior. 

Supplies needed:
  • list of 8-10 songs you want to sing
  • synonym "titles" for each of the songs on your list, written/printed on small slips of paper. Here are some I've used in the past:
      • When I Am Immersed (I Enjoy Searching For Color Spectrums) = When I Am Baptized (I like to look for rainbows) p. 103
      • Cherish Your Fellow Men = Love One Another (p. 136)
      • A Little One's Supplication = A Child's Prayer (p. 12)
      • I Am a Member of the Congregation of Jehovah = I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ (p. 77)
      • I Am the Offspring of Deity = I Am a Child of God (p. 2)
      • The Sage Constructed His Dwelling Upon The Stone = The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock (p. 281)
      • Obey the Seer = Follow the Prophet (p. 110)
      • The Troops of Alma's Son = Army of Helaman (p. 172)
      • The Tome of Nephite Tales = Book of Mormon Stories (p. 118)
      • Word of God Strength = Scripture Power (sheet music)
      • He Commissioned His Son = He Sent His Son (p. 34)
      • Hope For Things Which Are Not Seen, But Which Are True = Faith (p. 96)
      • If You Are Exhilarated and Aware of It = If You're Happy And You Know It (p. 266)
  • small bag/container to put the slips in
Set up:
  1. Put your slips in your bag/container. That's it!
Game play:
  1. Explain to the children how to play. 
      • This is usually best done through an example, so use one of the examples above that you DON'T have in your plans that day.
  2. Have a child draw a slip and read it to the Primary.
      • Usually after they read it once, I read it again for clarity. 
        • If necessary, use some definitions as hints ("What is a seer? Oh, like a PROPHET?") 
  3. Once they've guessed correctly, sing the song, then play again!

No comments:

Post a Comment